Saturday, August 20, 2011

Summer Reading – (For Everyone Considering Honors Humanities)

Emily Fine

Summer Reading – (For Everyone Considering Honors Humanities)

Book: The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Recommended by: David Schwartz


Conversation 1: Before the Read.

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown was recommended to me by David Schwartz. When I asked him for a book recommendation, The Da Vinci Code was his first answer. We talked for a bit about any other possible recommendations, but it always came back to this one. He told me I should read this book because it is a classic historical adventure. Dan Brown ingeniously tells the story of history at its most twisted and mysterious depths. The puzzling riddles that unravel should put me through a whirl of discoveries that put history on the edge of its existence.

Based on David’s impression of this book, I expect to be thrown into an undiscovered labyrinth of religious question, and lead through a path of mystery regarding some of the most famous figures in our history books. I expect this one to be true rush of adrenaline.


The Read.

Wow. This is by far the best book I have ever read. It was fast-paced from the moment it started, and I would spend nights literally not being able to put the book down until early morning would arrive. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is an exhilarating rush of adrenaline. The murder that takes place at the beginning of the book sets the story in motion, and as the chapters pass there are even more mysteries to be solved. One of the reasons I liked this book was because within a few chapters, the murderer has been made clear to the reader, so finding the murderer is not the main focus of the story. The focus is on the codes and mind-labyrinths the victim has set up for the two main characters to decipher and seek out. Another interesting thing about this book is all of the historical information on the arts, secret societies, and symbology that the story is based around. According to the author, all of the information given on these subjects is true, so I enjoyed learning in this style.


Conversation 2: After the Read.

David Schwartz and I agree that the excitement and fast-paced nature of The Da Vinci Code is what really hooks the reader from the beginning. We had similar opinions about the ending of the story, agreeing that neither of us had expected what became of the last few chapters. However, I can say that I did predict the outcome of the relationship between the two main characters. I had predicted it early on in the book, but as I neared the end, I started to become concerned that my guess would be incorrect. At the very end, though, my prediction came true, just as I had hoped. David and I agree that this is one of the most exciting and addicting books in the repertoire of books we have read, and is definitely a story that will be kept in the sacred libraries of our minds forever. Thank you, David, for recommending this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment