Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My Ishmael R.E.M.

-Project Description-

This assignment was a follow-up to the book we read in class called My Ishmael. We were given a list of different 'Reading Enjoyment Maximizers (REM)' to choose from. These were supposed to be fun ways of reflecting on or adding to the story.


-Process-

First, of course, we had to read My Ishmael. After that, we each chose which REM we were going to do. I chose to write a set of haikus about Julie and Ishmaels' journey together throughout the story. That, however, was not the original idea I was going to use for the REM. At first I had planned on writing a short story from Julie's mother's perspective on everything that was happening in the book. I changed my mind because I was interested in sampling different types of poetry instead.
Once I started writing, it just all seemed to fall together, and it actually ended up flowing a lot better than I had expected in the beginning.


-Reflection-

I learned the correct way to write a haiku. I also learned how to write brief poems from different peoples' perspectives and still have it all flow nicely together.
The main challenge I faced was having to decide which REM to do, and then having to switch ideas from the writing piece to the poetry.
If I could change something about the way I worked, it would be to have spent more time looking through each REM choice to decide which one to use. If I had spent more time on that maybe I wouldn't have had to switch ideas in the middle of our work-time.
This will help me in future projects with time management.


-Artifact-
To read my set of final Haikus, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment