Tuesday, June 1, 2010

This I Believe Project

-Project Description-

This is a writing project. It is inspired by This I believe, a writing entry contest held by National Public Radio. The assignment is to write a 400 to 500 word essay about something you believe. We also are creating black and white silhouette images of our side profiles. Once we are finished with both the writing piece and the profile image, they will both be displayed together in a frame.


-Process-

We started by making a list of 30 things we believe. They didn't necessarily have to be serious things we believe in, they could range from things like 'I believe in God' to 'I believe I could eat pizza every day for the rest of my life because I love it so much.'
After that brainstorm, we chose what belief we were going to each write about. The belief I wrote about is 'I believe in taking chances when life gives you opportunities to do what you love.'


-Reflection-

I learned a lot about myself and my beliefs during this project. I had never really put into words the things that I believed in, and actually writing them out taught me a lot more about myself than I had expected from this project.
My biggest challenge was deciding what belief to write about. There were already 30 ideas for me to choose from because of the brainstorm we did, but even still it was hard for me to choose which belief I would actually be able to back up in a writing piece.
If I had to change something I did during this project process, it would be the list of 30 things I believe in. I feel like I didn't spend enough time working on it, and maybe if I had spent more time on it I would have had less of a hard time choosing which belief to write about.
Knowing this will help me in future projects because I know now that even though it might be a pain to spend that extra amount of time on the brainstorming, I will benefit in the end because I will have less work to do later.


-Artifact-
To view a photo of my final frame and to read my final This I Believe piece, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment